Saturday, July 30, 2016

Standards

Hey, friends! Something that has kind of been on my mind---especially since returning from my mission---is the standards in "For the Strength of Youth." I often heard it said when I was growing up and even since my mission that those standards still apply. I see, however, opposition among people my age to those standards at least do a degree. What do you think? Do the standards in "For the Strength of Youth" still apply to us as adults in college? If so, why are there inconsistencies often observed around us? If not, do we have a similar, simple set of standards that apply more to our age group to which we ought to be adhering?

3 comments:

  1. I definitely think the standards in the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet still apply, but I agree - young adults seem to be unsure of that sometimes. I actually just read through it after reading this post, and it uses language like "as you enter your adult years" and "before marriage" at some points. It never says that the standards apply solely to youth. Pretty interesting! Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kind of curious as to what inconsistencies and opposition you see around you? Which principles are the most threatened?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kind of always kept in mind one line that said that you should go on group dates while in your teen years, or something like that. That kind of signalled to me that the booklet no longer applies when you're older. But looking back into it, it's not something that should ever be obsolete, because it is just a literal application for teenagers of more abstract eternal truths. But if we tell ourselves that we are starkly different than teenagers, we are probably kidding ourselves.

    ReplyDelete