Friday, August 5, 2016

A Look down Memory Lane

I have been blessed to have had this class this summer term. Sister Steadman has a cool, pretty easy-going attitude. I not only learned about writing English, but I also learned a thing or two about family history. It was great to meet good people and see their examples in my class.

Even though I am progressing as a writer and am not perfect, I think I have at least a few strengths when it comes to writing. One thing I've noticed that I can do pretty well at is writing off the fly and going off first impressions and writing with a short amount of time allotted to me. When we were supposed to bring an intro for our group assignment, this week, I hadn't known that until maybe two hours before class. I also needed to write nine or so blog posts and make nine or so comments. I ended up writing that intro in fifteen minutes or so. I thought it was sort of garbage when I had finished it, but I got pretty good feedback from my team, which was a miracle. I feel like I am also strong in keeping track of what I write, in terms of blog posts and comments and sources from which I draw information. I kept track of my blog posts and comments pretty well in a Google doc and did pretty well at citing my sources shortly after I put down information in my paper from a source.

One of my weaknesses in writing is being prepared. I really need to work on starting on writing assignments early and and going over them and going through multiple drafts. I think I can also work on being simple in my writing. It helps to sort of be on the fly and have a time crunch for me sometimes; if I'm not, then I can get too caught up in all the details of what I'm writing. It can become less manageable and less smooth. I also feel like I can be a better group member. I am thankful our group paper and presentations turned out as well as they did, but I feel like I can be a better group member in general and bring positivity and more insights into the group.

The class was great and also not quite what I expected. It was a lot more laid back than what I was potentially expecting. I also wasn't expecting so much exposure to family history. I'm glad we got opportunities to work amongst each other, which was great, but I feel I could've gotten to know my other classmates better. I definitely learned the importance of opposing arguments and the art of taking them and making a claim and working in evidence. That was cool.

One highlight for me was definitely this blog. This blog helped me gain opportunities to view awesome things, including blogs of my classmates, and write and express and teach. It was great to talk about things that are important to me and be free in what I wrote about them. I think that is good in life in general to have opportunities to do things in an unstructured manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment